On-Campus Jobs

F-1 and J-1 international students are eligible to work on-campus for up to 20 hours per week during the academic year.  F-1 students may exceed the 20 hour limit during annual vacation and school breaks if the student is not enrolled.  Students must be enrolled in an academic program, studying full-time or have approved Reduced Course Load, and be in good academic standing, per OIA policy.

Academic English students are not eligible for on-campus employment, per OIA policy.

How to Find On-Campus Job Listings

Listings of on-campus jobs can be found in several locations online. Students should set up an account on Lion Jobs to be able to look through and apply to job listings. These jobs are competitive and limited in number. Visit the UNA Career Center (2nd floor of Collier Library) to help you prepare your resume and to practice interviewing skills. 

The university food service company is Compass Chartwell. They hire employees directly. You can see their job listings here on their website. Talk to other students who work on campus for advice in connecting with an employer.

*You cannot apply for a Social Security Number (SSN) until you have a job offer. 

The Hiring Process

The process is as follows:

  • The on-campus employer will make an offer of employment to the student.
  • The employer will contact UNA Human Resources (for students working directly with UNA or Compass Chartwell) OR provide a letter of employment (for students at Panda Express)
  • The employer should fill out the Verification Letter Request Form for International Students to notify Human Resources.
  • UNA Human Resources will notify International Student Services at oiaservices@una.edu.
  • International Student Services will prepare two letters and invite student to a meeting.
  • The student picks up the letters and has a meeting to review procedures and requirements.
  • The student will take the two letters to the Social Security Administration and apply for a U.S. Social Security Number*.
  • Social Security cards generally arrive within 10 to 15 business days.
  • Once you receive the SSN, the student will contact the employer and Human Resources to complete hiring paperwork according to their process.

How Do I Get a Social Security Number?

You must have an offer of employment to receive a Social Security Number. Only eligible students who have been offered authorized employment can apply for an SSN number. This is federal law and is true in every state in the United States. You cannot apply for an SSN for background checks, loans, credit card applications or other reasons.

Once you have an offer of employment, the on-campus employer begins the process by submitting the Verification Letter Request Form for International Students to notify Human Resources. Human Resources will review and send to International Affairs. International Affairs will contact the student about next steps.