Vacation While Studying in the U.S.

F-1 and J-1 students become eligible to take an "annual vacation" after completing at least one academic year of their program in the United States. 

Academic English Students and Vacation

AEP students who begin study in August are eligible for summer vacation. Students who begin in October, January, March, or June will need to be continuously enrolled for one academic year to be eligible for vacation. Talk to Sarah Stevens if you have questions.

Academic Students and Vacation

All academic students are eligible for vacation during the summer term of UNA with two exceptions (see below). While UNA offers a summer term, it is not considered part of the regular academic year and the university does not offer a full schedule of courses. If you want to take a break at another time of year when classes are in session, make an appointment with your DSO or ARO to discuss.

Exceptions to Annual Vacation for Students in an academic program

  • First semester — If you are beginning a new I-20 or DS-2019 during the summer semester, you must enroll in summer semester with the correct number of face-to-face credit hours.
  • Last semester — If you are graduating at the end of the summer semester and you will take your last classes this summer, you must enroll in summer semester with the correct number of face-to-face credit hours to remain in the U.S. Students who wish to take only online classes in the last semester must depart the U.S. to do so.

If you plan to travel outside the U.S. during vacation or any other break, talk to your DSO or ARO. You must bring your I-20 or DS-2019 to Powers Hall to receive a travel endorsement. It is required to return to the U.S.

End-of-Semester Travel Signatures begin:
  • Academic students — Study Day, the preparation day for finals
  • Academic English Students — Turn in on last day of Term 2, documents will be returned at the AEP Completion Ceremony each semester.

Make sure you are prepared to reenter the United States. You should hand-carry the following documents through a U.S. port of entry:

  • Your signed Form I–20 or DS-2019 
  • Your DSO’s name and contact information
  • Valid visa and passport
  • Transcript (recommended)