International Students Working

International Students are allowed to work in the United States, however, the U.S.A. has very strict rules. Students with F-1 or J-1 visa can only work with authorization from a Designated School Official (DSO) or Alternate Responsible Officer. A social security card or number is not authorization.

Below is information about the types of work authorization that are permitted.

Students Working on campus

Student on CPT

Student in lab representing working


severe economic hardship