US Driver License

If you plan to drive a car in Alabama, you must possess a valid Alabama driver’s license. Because you will stay in Alabama for more than 6 months, you must obtain a license as soon as possible after your arrival if you intend to drive. 

DL sampleYou may apply for an Alabama driver’s license at the Alabama State Trooper's Office in Sheffield, AL, just across the river.  Before your license will be issued, you must first pass written, vision, and road skills tests. You must also provide proof of your legal status in the U.S., proof of residence in Alabama, and proof of Social Security (or lack thereof). Non-US Citizens must present these documents when applying for a Driver License or Permit.

  • A valid foreign passport with an acceptable visa or resident alien card.
  • Social Security Card or letter from Social Security stating non-eligibility.
  • Form I-20 in active status with at least 6 months left before Program End Date.
  • Valid I-94 from most recent entry to the US
  • Letter of Good Standing from DSO at UNA Office of International Affairs (within last 30 days)

You must pay in cash for all fees. The vehicle used for the road test must be tagged and insured in the state of Alabama .

Letter of Good Standing

International Students may request a Letter of Good Standing at the Front Desk in Powers Hall. A copy of your I-20 or DS-2019 will be required. Letters are issued every Friday except for the months of August and January and during the last two weeks of the semester. Letters are valid for 30 days from the date on the letter. Students with university holds may not receive a Letter of Good Standing until the hold has been removed.

Access the Letter of Good Standing request form here.


In order to receive a letter of good standing, students must complete a 30 minute driving class with a staff member from International Student Services. Classes are offered every Thursday at 4:00 PM in the Office of International Affairs and letters are available for pick-up the following Friday morning. Failure to attend a class will result in not receiving a letter of good standing.

An International Driver License may be used only until you are able to obtain an Alabama license. It is possible that - if you have a traffic violation or accident - an police officer would not accept your International License. If this happens, you may face additional tickets, fees and court costs.Driver License Manual
Alabama Law Enforcement Agency Driver License webpage