David M. McCullough
Coordinator, Brass Studies
Dr. McCullough is currently Professor of Music in the Department of Music at the University of North Alabama in Florence, AL where he teaches horn, conducting, music appreciation, and music education coursework. Dr. McCullough joined the UNA faculty in 2008 and served as Department Chair 2008-2016 (2009-2015 as Department of Music and Theatre).
Prior to UNA, Dr. McCullough served for 22 years as a college band director; as Director of Bands at Campbellsville University in Campbellsville, KY (1991-2008); and as Director of Bands at West Georgia College, now the State University of West Georgia, in Carrollton, GA (1981-1986). He has the distinction as having founded the marching bands at both West Georgia and Campbellsville. In addition, Dr. McCullough served as Band Director at Madison County High School in Gurley, AL (1975-1978).
Dr. McCullough’s most recent honor is his selection as the UNA College of Arts and Sciences Outstanding Senior Faculty Member for 2020-2021. Other honors include Dr. McCullough's selection by the Campbellsville University Board of Advisors as the University’s 1994 Distinguished Professor for Academic Excellence; and his selection by the Kentucky Music Educators Association as the 1996 College/University “Teacher of the Year;” In addition, in 2000 Dr. McCullough was inducted into the Robert E. Lee High School (Montgomery, AL) Hall of Fame.
- horn, band, instrumental music education, chuch music
- MU 690 - Special Topics in Music
- MU 681 - Applied Music
- MU 680 - Secondary Area Applied Music
- MU 675 - Master Concert
- MU 661 - Meth Mat in Mus Ed
- MU 654 - Pedagogy of Brass Instruments
- MU 612 - Band Literature
- MU 495 - Music Practicum
- MU 490 - Special Topic
- MU 447 - Brass Ensemble
- MU 419 - Senior Recital
- MU 414 - Brass
- MU 392 - Instrumental Lit and Ped
- MU 383 - Instrumental Conducting
- MU 382 - Fundamentals of Conducting
- MU 347 - Brass Ensemble
- MU 319 - Junior Recital
- MU 314 - Brass
- MU 247 - Brass Ensemble
- MU 222 - Music Appreciation
- MU 214 - Brass
- MU 147 - Brass Ensemble
- MU 141 - Class Brass
- MU 114 - Brass
- FYE 101 - First-Year Experience Seminar
- Music (DMA)
The University of Georgia
- French Horn Performance (MM)
Florida State University
- Music Education (MEd)
- Music Education (BSEd)
Selected Intellectual Contributions
- Donnie Fritts, Meghan E. Merciers, David M. McCullough, Lara W. Lay, and. 2018. "June". This is a released CD. I performed on the title track "June" for Donnie Fritts' album.
- David M. McCullough. 2018. Why Teach Music.
- David Meadows McCullough. 2007. "Le petit âne blanc" (“The Little White Donkey”) from "Histoires" by Jacques Ibert, arranged for brass quintet..
- David M. McCullough. 2004. Leaders in Their Own Right - The Story of Civil War Bands.
- David Meadows McCullough. 1996. “…but I’m not going to be in the college band,”.
- David Meadows McCullough. 1995. "Eugene Bozza's Suite for Horn Quartet".
- David Meadows McCullough. 1992. "Hindemith's Sonata for Four Horns" Number 2, 63-66..
- David Meadows McCullough. 1991. "The Horn Quartet: An Historical Perspective on the Evolution of the Genre and a Survey on Works Composed Since 1950.".