Cindy L. Stenger
I began teaching in the summer of 1976 at a school for the children of migrant farmers located in Dutton Alabama. In 1978 my undergraduate institution created its first remedial math class as the college began to bring in athletes for the first football team. As an undergraduate, I was assigned the classes and successfully taught the pilot, giving the players had a win in an otherwise dismal season. I am still friends with one of those players. In 1980, I accepted a position teaching high school at a rural school where I was assigned all of the math classes except algebra I. In 1981, I began a teaching assistantship at UAH, and completed a Masters in Math in 1983. My only hiatus from teaching was the following years working first as a senior research analyst at JMCA then as an applied mathematician at SPARTA. I returned to teaching for almost 10 years at a private college where I was area coordinator (chair) and rose to the rank of full professor. While teaching and parenting full time, I earned an interdisciplinary PhD at UMKC. In 2002, to be closer to my aging parents, I accepted an associate professor position at UNA, where I have served for 18 years. I co-direct 4 STEM camps each summers, I organize the college and university Three Minute Thesis competitions. I co-lead the Dual Degree Engineering Program. I served as chair of the department of mathematics. 2012-2018. I serve on the executive board of the Alabama Council of Teachers of Mathematics and served as the director of the Statewide Mathematics Competition. I serve on Academic Affairs Huntsville Outreach Initiative and STEAM Outreach Initiative. I initiated and nurtured the partnership with the HudsonAlpha CODE program
- Mathematics and computer science education research, Teacher Training
- MA 634 - History & Phil of Mathematics
- MA 627 - Math Thinking for Teacher
- MA 625 - Found in Geometry for Teacher
- MA 624 - History & Phil of Mathematics
- MA 613 - Found in Stat for Teacher
- MA 495 - Directed Research
- MA 491 - Senior Seminar
- MA 490 - Undergraduate Math Mentoring
- MA 471W - Applied Mathematics
- MA 420 - Combinatorics/Graph Theory
- MA 395H - Directed Research - Honors
- MA 395 - Directed Research
- MA 360 - Topics in Industrial Math
- MA 325 - Intro to Discrete Mathematics
- MA 306 - Mathematics for Elem Teachers
- MA 253 - Data Anal/Prob/Stats Elem Tchr
- MA 112 - Pre-Calculus Algebra
- MA 111 - Math Reasoning for the Arts
- Multi/Interdisciplinary Studies -- Education (General) and Mathematics (PhD)
University of Missouri-Kansas City
- Mathematics (MA)
The University of Alabama in Huntsville
- Mathematics/Psychology (BA)
Mid-America Nazarene College
Selected Intellectual Contributions
- Cynthia L. Stenger, James A. Jerkins, Janet T. Jenkins, and Mark G. Terwilliger. 2021. Anticipating Change: Pre-Service Elementary Teachers Response to the Challenge of Incorporating Computer Science Activities into their Future Classrooms.
- Jacob Bauss, Michele Morris, Rama Shankar, Rosemary Olivero, Leah Buck, Cynthia L. Stenger, David Hinds, Joshua Mills, Alexandra Eby, Joseph Zagorski, Caitlin Smith, Sara Cline, Nicholas Hartog, Bin Chen, John Huss, Joseph Carcillo, Surender Rajasekaran, Caleb Bupp, and Jeremy Prokop. 2021. CCR5 and Biological Complexity: The Need for Data Integration and Educational Materials to Address Genetic/Biological Reductionism at the Interface of Ethical, Legal, and Social Implications.
- James A. Jerkins, Yasmeen Rawajfih, and Cynthia L. Stenger. 2021. Designing CS Materials for Out-of-field Middle School Teachers.
- Ronald M. Blake, Cynthia L. Stenger, Jessica E. Stovall, Janet T. Jenkins, and Sherry Truitt. 2020. Attack of the Ice Aliens: A Transdisciplinary Physics Lesson. Journal of the Alabama Academy of Sciences
- Jayson L. Jackson, Janet T. Jenkins, James A. Jerkins, Cynthia L. Stenger, and Mark G. Terwilliger. 2020. Exploring the Genetic Decomposition of Interior and Exterior Angles of Polygons with the Use of Computer Programming and GeoGebra.
- Morgan Sanders, James M. Lawlor, Xiaopeng Li, John N. Schuen, Susan L. Millard, Xi Zhang, Leah Buck, Cynthia L. Stenger, and Jeremy W. Prokop. 2020. Genomic, Transcriptomic, and Protein Landscape Profile of CFTR and Cystic Fibrosis.
- Benjie Blair, Cynthia L. Stenger, and Jeremy Prokop. 2020. PP2 - Adopt a Gene: A Crowd Sourcing Approach to Teaching Computational Bioinformatic to Undergraduates at Regional Universities..
- Benjie Blair, Cynthia L. Stenger, Jared L. Painter, Jeremy W. Prokop, Sarah Woodley, Jenna Ridlen, and Richard Watkins. 2020. Two Variants of SLC6A1 on Amino Acid 451 (D451E and D451G) Associated with Developmental Delay and Epilepsy.
- Jayson L. Jackson, Cynthia L. Stenger, James A. Jerkins, and Mark G. Terwilliger. 2019. Improving Abstraction through Python Programming in Undergraduate Computer Science and Math Classes. Journal of Computing Sciences in Colleges
- Mark G. Terwilliger, Jayson L. Jackson, Cynthia L. Stenger, and James A. Jerkins. 2019. Using Computer Programming Activities and Robots to Teach Generalization of a Geometry Concept. Journal of Computing Sciences in Colleges