Benedict J. Lowe
A native of the United Kingdom I received a BA (hons) in Ancient History and Archaeology from Durham University and a PhD in Classics from the University of Edinburgh. I have taught in the UK, US and Denmark before coming to UNA in 2018.
- Ancient History in particular Roman History and archaeology.
- HI 640 - Directed Research and Study
- HI 621 - Seminar in World Hist to 1815
- HI 590 - Special Topics in U.S. History
- HI 502 - Cicero & Fall of the Republic
- HI 501 - The Twelve Caesars
- HI 495 - Senior Thesis
- HI 490 - Special Topics in U.S. History
- HI 402 - Cicero & Fall of the Republic
- HI 401 - The Twelve Caesars
- HI 390 - Special Topics
- HI 322 - Ancient Rome
- HI 321 - Ancient Greece
- HI 102 - World Civilization Since 1500
- HI 101 - World Civilization to 1500
- Classics (PhD)
University of Edinburgh
- Ancient History and Archaeology (BA)
University of Durham
Selected Intellectual Contributions
- Benedict J. Lowe. 2021. A Most Notable Dwelling: The Domus Romana and the Urban Topography of Roman Melite.
- Benedict J. Lowe. 2021. Fish Sauces - The Food That Made Rome Great.
- Benedict J. Lowe. 2021. Review of James (P.) Food Provisions for Ancient Rome. A Supply Chain Approach. Pp. x + 230, figs, ills. London and New York: Routledge, 2021. Cased, £120, US$160. ISBN: 978-0-367-14339-8; Komar (P.) Eastern Wines on Western Tables. Consumption, Trade and Economy in Ancient Italy. (Mnemosyne Supplements 435.) Pp. xiv + 376, colour figs, ills, b/w & colour maps. Leiden and Boston: Brill, 2021. Cased, €112, US$135. ISBN: 978-90-04-43370-0..
- Benedict J. Lowe, Robert Brown, David Cardona, Davide Tanasi, and Andrew Wilkinson. 2021. The Melite Civitas Romana Project: the case for a modern exploration of the Roman Domus, Malta.
- Benedict J. Lowe. 2020. Agriculture in Roman Iberia. A Companion to Ancient Agriculture.
- Benedict J. Lowe, Gianni Leucci, David Cardona, Davide Tanasi, Rob Brown, and Andrew Wilkinson. 2020. Ground Penetrating Radar prospections of the Roman Domus of Mdina (Malta).
- Benedict J. Lowe. 2020. Review of Athena Trakadas In Mauretaniae maritimis Marine Resource Exploitation in a Roman North African Province. Franz Steiner Verlag, 2018..
- Benedict J. Lowe. 2019. Review of Defaux, Olivier: The Iberian Peninsula in Ptolemy’s Geography. Origins of the Coordinates and Textual History. Berlin: Edition Topoi, 2017. Berlin Studies of the Ancient World 51..