Relationship Violence: Getting Help and Support

The Office of the Vice President of Student Affairs and Northwest Alabama SafePlace stand ready to help both survivors and their friends and loved ones in any way we can through this difficult time. Services provided by our offices include:

Northwest Alabama SafePlace

SafePlace is the local community organization that seeks to raise awareness and educate people in the local area about the issue of relationship violence.  In addition, they offer support services to victims, including University students.

  • Emergency Housing: Food to at, clothes to wear and a warm safe place to sleep where nobody can hurt you or your children.
  • Supportive Housing: A place to live while your prepare for the changes you want to make in your life
  • Transitional Housing: A single family home where you can live with support services so you can get on your feet.
  • Case Management: Individualized assistance from someone who understands how hard it is to get free of the violence and control in your life.
  • Support Group: A guided, self-help group where you can meet with others on a weekly basis for continued support and encouragement.
  • Safety Planning: Learning ways to help you and your family stay safe.
  • Court Advocacy: Assistance from someone who understands the court system and can go with you to court so it's not so frightening.
  • Violence Intervention Class: Court ordered classes for people who use power and control to get their partner to do what they want.
  • HELP LINE: Anonymous help for you or someone you know anytime of the day or night 800.550.9215

Office of the Vice President of Student Affairs

  • Student Affairs:  For crisis response during regular business hours, simply call the Office of the Vice President Affairs main line at 256.765.4223
  • Information and support: For both survivors and those looking to help survivors
  • Resources:
    • Counseling referrals
    • Assistance with gaining academic support
      • The Vice President of Student Affairs works closely with academic deans across the University to assist students in dealing with academic concerns and issues that may arise as a result of an assault.
  • Office of Student Conduct (protective services):
    • No contact order
      • If the Office of Student Conduct is notified of relationship abuse occurring between two University students, the Office of Student Conduct will issue a “no contact order.” This is a mutually binding document that orders both students to have no in-person or electronic contact with one another and is enforceable through the University’s Standards of Conduct. As the order is mutually-binding, it can be issued without filing a formal complaint.
    • Scheduling, room changes or emergency relocation
      • The Office of Student Conduct and the Office of the Vice President of Student Affairs can assist with emergency relocation off-Grounds as well as room or scheduling changes on-Grounds in the event that a survivor and perpetrator live in close proximity or have classes in common.

The survivor need not file a formal report or disclose the name of the perpetrator to receive support services. If the name of a student perpetrator is disclosed to a University official, the University is required under Federal law to investigate further and take any remedial actions deemed necessary. These actions will likely include, at minimum, a meeting with the perpetrator and the issuance of a no contact order as described above. The survivor, however, is not required to file formal charges.