While having a cellular phone is not required for UNA Study Abroad, Partner or non-UNA programs might require you to purchase a cell phone on site. If you want to take a cell phone with you, contact your current provider to learn about options. Some students buy inexpensive pay-as-you-go cell phones in their host countries.

If you have a computer and Internet access, another option is Skype, which can be used for free or very inexpensive online instant messaging, video calls and phone calls.

Most U.S. prepaid phone cards, or calling cards, will not work from abroad. IDT’s Global Call Card is one exception). Check with the card company before you purchase a pre-paid card for use overseas.

Some major phone companies offer discounted calling plans for use abroad. Contact your long-distance carrier for details.


Looking for a good way to keep everyone up to date without writing individual emails or making multiple phone calls? Many study abroad participants keep everyone "in the know" by blogging about their experiences. Commonly used blogging sites include:, and