Resources for Parents

Throughout your student's UNA experience, you may find the following resources useful. Parents of the Pride was developed to help inform parents to help their students' transition into college.

The first resource for incoming students and parents is SOAR (Student Orientation, Advisement, and Registration). During SOAR, students become acclimated to campus resources, and parents have the opportunity to attend Family Orientation. Make sure your student registers you for Family Orientation when they register for SOAR.
The UNA Financial Aid office assists with student loans, grants, scholarships, and other financial information. They are also available to help with the FAFSA or with any other issue that may arise with your student's financial aid.
The office of the Registrar is where academic records are kept. The office staff is available to help with dropping and/or adding courses, repeating and/or re-computing classes, and ordering copies of official or unofficial academic transcripts.
The staff at the Career Center helps students explore their interests and find a career path that suits them best. Resources for parents can be found on the Career Center's website here.

The Disability Support Services (DSS) office provides support and appropriate accommodations for students with learning, physical, and psychological disabilities. It is important to remember that a student must register, request accommodations with DSS, and be approved by the DSS Advisory Committee for academic accommodations. Students should begin this process as soon as possible, as accommodations are not retroactive.

For help with stress and beyond, confidential services are available at Student Counseling Services to all actively enrolled students who have paid tuition. Outpatient mental health services include psycho-social assessments, individual and group counseling, crisis intervention, group psycho-educational and classroom presentations, and referrals to community resources. 

Counselors are available for assessment of needs/problems, short-term counseling, group presentations, crisis intervention, and facilitation of referrals for students. Faculty, staff, or parents who are concerned about a student should call 256-765-5215 for consultation with a counselor or to arrange a referral appointment.

Maintaining good health is essential for maximizing a student's college experience. University Health Services (UHS) is an outpatient, acute care clinic that is designed to meet the health care needs of students and employees. UHS is staffed with board-certified physicians, nurse practitioners, registered nurses, and administrative personnel.
College life is more than taking classes. Your student should have a well-rounded experience while at UNA. The best way to do this is for your student to become active in the university community. The Office of Student Engagement can help your student find registered student organizations or activities to help them meet new people and build up their resume.
If circumstances arise that don't fall under the offices linked above, you can inquire with the Office of Student Affairs and they will assist you with finding a solution to your particular situation.
The Office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs & Provost can provide information about the various departments and programs of study here at UNA. There is a message from UNA's Provost on the Academic Affairs home page; follow the links to learn more about the different department and programs.
The University of North Alabama Police Department (UPD) is a full service law enforcement agency established to provide the highest degree of safety and security possible for the University of North Alabama community. They employ Alabama certified law enforcement officers that patrol the campus 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, year round to protect and secure the University community. We provide protection and service to prevent crime and enhance the quality of campus life. Another helpful service provided by the Campus Police is the handling of Lost and Found items. 


Lion Alert is a campus-wide emergency notification system designed to help improve communications during a campus emergency, keeping you informed on school closings and other information to keep you safe. You must actively register to take advantage of this important notification service. It provides Campus Safety information, Hazardous weather conditions, important messages designed to keep the University community safe. Parents can sign up for Lion Alert here

The University Case Manager provides assistance in navigating resources and services available both on and off campus and improving student retention and success. Services are available for students experiencing the following:

  • Illness or Injury
  • Mental Health Concerns
  • Personal or Family Crisis
  • Difficulty Navigating the University Experience
  • Adjustment to Campus Life
  • Financial Concerns
  • Need for Medical Withdrawal
  • Any circumstance impacting a student's ability to be successful