Frequently Asked Questions about HSHD

1. How many hours are required in a major?

Each major has a specific number of hours. Check your UNA bulletin to see exactly what is required in your major. Many departments require other courses to be completed by all students. This is called the "core". Each department will also have a specific courses in Area V. If after reading in your bulletin you don't understand, see your advisor.

2. Do I have to have minor?

In HSHD students are required to have minor. Some of the concentrations require a specified minor while others require an "approved" minor. The minor is usually an addition 18 hrs.

3. What is internship and am I required to do an internship in HSHD?

An internship is an opportunity for students to enhance their skills in a professional position. It gives the students a chance to see what the "real world" occupation will be like. Often students move from internship into employment with the organization. Others are able to use the internship experience on their resume. The internship is 350 hours of work in an approved experience. It is offered only in the summer and can be taken between the junior and senior year or at the end of the students classroom experience.

4. What is a PIN number and where do I get mine?

A PIN number is like password to allow you to register for classes. Your advisor will have you PIN number. The number will change every semester so you will need to meet with your advisor each semester.

5. What is Family and Consumer Sciences?

This is the name of our discipline in most middle and high schools. Students wishing to be certified in teacher education in our discipline will double manor in secondary education and HSHD.

6. Are courses in HSHD sequenced?

Most courses in HSHD are not sequenced but many require prerequisites. It is wise to let your advisor help you plan your way through the coursework in your concentration.