Mario A. Mighty
Dr. Mario Mighty is an Assistant Professor of Geography at the University of North Alabama (UNA). A true geographer, he has earned all his tertiary-level degrees in Geography. He earned his Bachelor of Science degree at the University of the West Indies, Mona Campus in Jamaica and completed his Masters and Ph.D. at the University of Florida. A native of Jamaica, he has a strong interest in sustainable agriculture, geographic information systems (GIS), economic development and the impacts of globalization on small island developing states. These interests express themselves through his work on enhancing the economic sustainability of agriculture in small islands and exploring the role of GIS in enhancing long term decision making. Dr. Mighty regularly teaches courses in GIS, economic geography, human geography and sustainability at the undergraduate level, supervises a number of graduate students in the Masters of Geospatial Science program offered at UNA, presented at several regional, national and international conferences; and has a growing publication record on a number of topics related to his research interests.
- GIS, Agriculture, Economic Development, Sustainability
- GE 697 - Advanced Topics
- GE 695 - Thesis
- GE 692 - Research
- GE 610 - Seminar in Geospatial Science
- GE 597 - Special Topics
- GE 550 - Fundamentals of Sustainability
- GE 499 - Independent Study-Practicum
- GE 497 - Special Topics
- GE 487 - Geography Capstone Project
- GE 485 - GIS Applications
- GE 450 - Fund of Sustainability
- GE 384 - Geographic Info Systems
- GE 322 - Business Geography
- GE 321 - Economic Geography
- GE 305 - Geography of Latin America
- GE 260 - People, Place, and Culture
- GE 102 - Global Environment & Societies
- Geography (PhD)
University of Florida
- Geography (MA)
University of Florida
- Geography (BS)
The University of the West Indies
Selected Intellectual Contributions
- Dan Wanyama, Mario A. Mighty, Sunhui Sim, and Francis T. Koti. 2019. A spatial assessment of land suitability for maize farming in Kenya. Geocarto International
- Mario A. Mighty. 2017. "We Likkle, But We Tallawah": Maintaining Competitive Advantage in a Crowded Specialty Coffee Market.
- Mario A. Mighty. 2016. .
- Mario A. Mighty. 2016. The Jamaican Coffee Industry: Challenges and Responses to Increased Global Competition. Globalization, Agriculture and Food in the Caribbean.
- Mario A. Mighty, Clinton L. Beckford, and Kevon Rhiney. 2016. The Jamaican Coffee Industry: Challenges and Responses to Increased Global Competition. Globalization, Agriculture and Food in the Caribbean: Climate Change, Gender and Geography.
- Mario A. Mighty. 2016. What is Sustainability? A Geographer's Perspective.
- Mario A. Mighty. 2015. .
- Mario A. Mighty. 2015. Site Suitability and the Analytic Hierarchy Process: How GIS Analysis Can Improve the Competitive Advantage of the Jamaican Coffee Industry.
- Mario A. Mighty. 2011. .
- Mario A. Mighty. 2009. .