Department of Mathematics
News & Events
- Dr. Stupiansky joined the department in Fall 2014.
- Mr. Shull has retired.
- Four new faculty joined the department in Fall 2013:
Dr. Greer, Dr. Johnson, Dr. Prince-Lubawy, & Dr. Raney.
“Project NExT (New Experiences in Teaching) is a professional development program for new or recent Ph.D.s in the mathematical sciences. It addresses all aspects of an academic career: improving the teaching and learning of mathematics, engaging in research and scholarship, and participating in professional activities. It also provides the participants with a network of peers and mentors as they assume these responsibilities.”
The UNA Math Department is proud to recognize our Project NExT Fellows:
- Dr. Ashley Johnson, 2013-2014
- Dr. Jill Stupiansky, 2013-2014
- Dr. Lee Raney, 2014-2015
Math/CS Undergraduate Research Team
Conferences and Competition News
- Four students from the Math and Computer Science Undergraduate Research Team at the University of North Alabama had their research projects accepted for presentation at the 2014 National Conference on Undergraduate Research (NCUR). The conference took place April 3-5 at the University of Kentucky in Lexington, Ky. Read more...
- Ten students from the Math and Computer Science Undergraduate Research Team at the University of North Alabama had their research projects have been accepted for presentation at the 2013 National Conference on Undergraduate Research (NCUR). The conference took place April 11-13 at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse in La Crosse, Wi. Read more...
- Math and Computer Science Undergraduate Research Team members competed in the first undergraduate Three Minute Thesis competition held at UNA in spring 2014. Read more here... and here...
- Six students on the University of North Alabama’s Math and Computer Science Undergraduate Research Team presented their work at the second annual Kennesaw Mountain Undergraduate Mathematics Conference in Fall 2012. Read more...
Alabama Statewide High School Mathematics Contest
The Alabama Council of Teachers of Mathematics sponsors the Alabama Statewide High School Mathematics Contest each year. The University of North Alabama Department of Mathematics hosted the 2014 contest. Over one thousand Alabama students registered to participate in the 2014 contest. The contest goals include stimulating interest in mathematics and recognizing the achievements of outstanding mathematics programs and students. Read more...
Mathematics Department Colloquium
The Mathematics Department hosts a colloquium mostTuesday afternoons at 3 p.m. in MAB 5 (Mathematics building, Room #5). The University community is invited to attend. Each talk lasts about an hour.
|April 28, 2014||Speaker: Dr. Miranda Bowie
Title: Domination Parameters in Graphs
|April 8, 2014||Speaker: Dr. James Jerkins
Title: MINA: An Algorithm for Detecting the Presence of Extrinsic Network Nodes
using a Message Induced Graph
|March 30, 2014||Speaker: Dr. Mark Greer
Title: Simple Right Conjugacy Closed loops
|March 18, 2014||Speaker: Dr. Jesse Prince-Lubawy
Title: Equivalence of Group Actions on Handlebodies, Part 2
|March 11, 2014||Speaker: Dr. Jesse Prince-Lubawy
Title: Equivalence of Group Actions on Handlebodies, Part 1
|March 3, 2014||Speaker: Dr. Jason Briley
Title: Preservice Elementary Teachers' Misconceptions of Perimeter and Area
|February 25, 2014||Speaker: Dr. Lee Raney
Title: Finite Group Representations and Characters, Part 2
|February 4, 2014||Speaker: Dr. Lee Raney
Title: Finite Group Representations and Characters, Part 1