The responsibilities of the scholarship include mentoring and befriending incoming international students. Navigators assist new international students with accessing services available on campus and introduce cultural and social adjustments during orientation and throughout the school year. Each Navigator will help with orientation, conversation partners, and other OIA programming. Scholarship commitment begins May 2015 and extends until May 2016.
$1,000.00 scholarship ($500 per semester in 2015-2016 school year)
- Act as OIA ambassadors and orientation leaders
- Answer questions about life at UNA, American culture, and getting adjusted to college life
- Introduce new students to activities and services on campus
- Facilitate at OIA events and activities
- Be a connector of International students to campus activities and services, encouraging participation and relationship building
- TRAINING: 2-day training early May 2015; and 2-day training sessions mid-August before the semester begins
- ORIENTATIONS: must be available to participate in the following OIA Orientations (subject to change):
- Fall New Student Orientation August 12-18, 2015
- Mid-Fall New Student Orientation October 10-13, 2015
- Spring New Student Orientation January 10-12, 2016
- Mid-Spring New Student Orientation March 10-13, 2016
- TWICE MONTHLY MEETINGS: From September - April on the 1st and 3rd Wednesday every month at 3:30 pm for one hour
- OIA EVENTS: 80% attendance at OIA events (e.g. International Teas, Homecoming Parade, social events, on-campus weeknight event)
- Ability to take ideas from concept to completion
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Proven track record of on-campus involvement/leadership
- Interest and sensitivity towards cultural and religious diversity as well as multicultural issues
- Self-motivated with strong time-management skills
- Positive ambassador for UNA and OIA
Start your Application
Prepare the following information to be submitted together to Cala Flippo, Student Success Coordinator, in the Office of International Affairs in Powers Hall.
- Navigator Application Form
- 500-word essay or 3-to-5-minute video detailing your interest and experience with different cultures and describing how you meet the qualifications listed above
- Resume' which highlights leadership experience and community involvement
- Two letters of recommendation from UNA Faculty, UNA Staff, employer or community member
Application packets will be due by 4:30 pm on Friday, March 13, 2015. Computer problems and failure on the part of the applicants to meet the deadline will NOT exempt the applicants from this rule.
The OIA will contact successful applicants and schedule one-on-one interviews during April 2015. The scholarships recipients will be notified of the award before the end of April 2015.