- In the event of a major utility failure occurring during regular business hours, immediately notify Physical Plant at extension 4274.
- If there is potential danger to the building occupants, or if the utility failure occurs after hours, weekends and holidays, notify the University Police Department at extension 4357 (HELP) or 256.765.4357.
- ASSIST THE DISABLED IN EXITING THE BUILDING! Remember that the elevators are reserved for disabled persons' use only. DO NOT USE ELEVATORS IN CASE OF FIRE.
- Once outside, move to a clear area away from the affected building. Keep the streets and walkways clear for emergency vehicles.
- DO NOT RETURN TO AN EVACUATED BUILDING unless directed to do so by University Police Department or the Building Coordinator.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION AND PROCEDURES
Always observe steps "1" and "2" above whenever the following utility emergencies arise.
At present not all buildings are equipped with an emergency light system that will provide enough illumination in corridors and stairs for safe exiting. It is, therefore, advisable for your department to have flashlights available.
If you are trapped in an elevator, use the call button in the elevator to alert someone in the building that you are trapped.
Cease using all electrical equipment. Notify Physical Plant at 4274 (during regular working hours). If necessary, vacate the area.
Serious Gas Leak
Cease all operations. DO NOT SWITCH ON LIGHTS or ANY ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT - REMEMBER, electrical arcing can trigger an explosion! Notify the Department of Public Safety at extension 4357 (HELP) and Physical Plant at 4274 (during regular working hours). Vacate the area.
Steam Line Failure
Immediately notify Physical Plant at 4274 (during regular working hours). If necessary, vacate the area.
If smoke or odors come from the ventilation system, immediately notify Physical Plant at 4274. If necessary, cease all operations and vacate the area.
For emergencies dial (911) or (4357) on any campus phone.