Fire Safety Plan
- Know the location of fire extinguishers in your area and know how to use them. Training and information is available through the Physical Plant Department at extension 4274.
- On a minor fire that appears controllable IMMEDIATELY contact the University Police Department and the Building Coordinator. Promptly direct the charge of the fire extinguisher toward the base of the flame.
- If necessary or if directed to do so by the University Police Department or the Building Coordinator, activate the building alarm. CAUTION: THE BUILDING ALARMS RING ONLY IN THE BUILDING - you must call the University Police Department or the Building Coordinator.
- On large fires that do not appear controllable, IMMEDIATELY call 9-911and the Building Coordinator. Then, evacuate all affected rooms, closing all doors to confine the fire and reduce oxygen - DO NOT LOCK DOORS!
- When the building evacuation alarm is sounded or when told to leave by the University Police Department or by the Building Coordinator, walk quickly to the nearest marked exit and alert others to do the same.
- ASSIST THE DISABLED IN EXITING THE BUILDING! DO NOT USE ELEVATORS IN CASE OF FIRE.
- Once outside, move to a clear area away from the affected building. Keep streets and walkways clear for emergency vehicles and personnel.
- If requested, assist the University Police Department and/or the Building Coordinator.
- DO NOT RETURN TO AN EVACUATED BUILDING unless directed to do so by the University Police Department or the Building Coordinator.
- Refer to the emergency procedures, specific to your building, that are attached to the back of this guide