Explosion, Aircraft Crash or Similar Critical Incident
In the event a violent accident such as an explosion or aircraft crash occurs on campus that could render a building or area unsafe, take the following actions:
- Immediately take cover under tables, desks and other such objects which will give protection against falling glass or debris.
- After the effect of the explosion and/or fire have subsided, notify the University Police Department at extension 4357 (HELP) or 256.765.4357, and the Building Coordinator. Give your name and describe the location and nature of the emergency.
- When you are told to leave by the University Police Department or by the Building Coordinator, walk quickly to the nearest marked exit and alert others to do the same.
- ASSIST THE DISABLED IN EXITING THE BUILDING! Remember that elevators are reserved for disabled persons' use. DO NOT USE ELEVATORS IN CASE OF FIRE.
- Once outside, move to a clear area away from the affected building. Keep streets and walkways clear for emergency vehicles and personnel.
- If requested, assist the University Police Department and/or the Building Coordinator.
- DO NOT RETURN TO AN EVACUATED BUILDING unless directed to do so by the University Police Department or the Building Coordinator.
- Refer to the emergency procedures, specific to your building, that are attached to the back of this guide.