College of Education & Human Sciences
Click here for a printable version of the complete Conceptual Framework Commitments - Updated Spring 2012
The Conceptual Framework establishes a shared vision in preparing educators to work effectively in P-12 schools and provides direction for programs, courses, teaching, candidate performance, scholarship, service and accountability. The Conceptual Framework is continuously evaluated in an outcome based system, and is knowledge-based, articulated, shared and consistent with the University of North Alabama's institutional mission -
Changing lives. Creating futures.
The Conceptual Framework is designed to reflect current research-based knowledge and effective practices through professionalism, assessment, collaboration, technology, diversity and reflection. The UNA College of Education & Human Sciences prepares
"Knowledgeable Practicing Professionals" who:
Have content and pedagogical knowledge to demonstrate professionalism through a set of beliefs, actions, dispositions and ethical standards that form the core of their practice;
- Have the knowledge and ability to use assessment strategies to guide teaching and learning, especially impact on student learning, and to strengthen instruction and increase professional growth
- Form communities of learners with other teachers, parents, and members of the community, through collaboration, teamwork, and research-based approaches;
- Use technology to support assessment, planning and instruction for promoting student learning;
- Value and plan for diversity in curriculum development, instructional strategies and in the promotion of social consciousness;
- Know and use self-awareness and reflection as decision-making tools for assuring student learning, professional performance and personal growth.
Graduates of the University of North Alabama's College of Education & Human Sciences are knowledgeable practicing professionals who are prepared as outstanding educators and leaders through achievement of the highest standards of knowledge and practice to assist all students to learn.